My Portfolio

Thursday, July 14, 2011

ACEO puzzle collage of Janis Joplin

             
http://www.etsy.com/listing/76830676/original-aceo-drawing-collage-janis

This was once a complete drawing of Janis Joplin. I drew it in 1995 from a Magazine photograph on printer paper while killing time at a Waffle House. She has always been quite beautiful to me despite her unconventional looks. 
 I recently cut into pieces, to make *ACEOs or art cards. The first ones I made, I was not happy with at all!





I then decided cut Janis out and glue those pieces to an article from a fanzine. I did not read the article until I glued my drawing to it. I picked the article because it had a large area with text. After trying to read the article, I found that it was very politically driven. I rather liked that. However, there was not enough text to make 2.5X3.5 inch cards. Therefore, I continued to look through this fanzine from 2003. I found a page that was a strange picture and I decided to use that as the boarder. I glued everything to a gift box. I used that instead of card stock, because I like to recycle. I listed it but I still was not happy.











                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I asked my Etsy friends for advice. Even though I was given many compliments, something just bugged me about it. The Etsy team really came through with some great ideas. Thank you so much! By the end of the conversations, I decided to paint the text with a red watercolor wash. This is the result                                                                                                     




 *ACEO: Art Card, Editions and Originals 
An offshoot of Artist Trading Cards is the "Art Cards, Editions and Originals" (ACEO). 
ACEOs originated when some artists began to create cards, to sell, in addition to trading among themselves.


I store and send them in theses ridged. top loader cardholders. They have a nice green border and protect the cards well.

No comments:

Post a Comment